Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Knitting classes rock my world!

I've spent quite a few years knitting blankets or scarves.  All this time I've really wanted to be better at it and try something more difficult.  Tonight I joined a knitting class and am making my first pair of mittens.  

What you see is Berroco Vintage yarn on size 6 needles (after ribbing size 8).  Color 5194 (Dye lot 003). 

Let me be honest, this is not the first time I've knit on the round with double sided needles.  I had a frustrating attempt at making socks earlier this summer.  I was angry and threw things and yelled awful words at the top of my lungs.   This was so much better and even though just a tiny little bit is done, I can envision the mitten that is being created.  

The knitting class was awesome as well.  I learned two new ways to cast on.  Who knew that casting on in a decent way makes the product look so much better?  I didn't, but it does.  The people were great and I feel really confident that in a few weeks I will be prepared for the freezing cold temperatures that the Farmer's Almanac is calling for this winter.  

A little note about the color.. It is pretty much the same color as my blanket.  I'm not sure why this color spoke to me at the shop, but it did.  It may be important to purchase a coat to match the yarn... hmm..

Next major project will be a cardigan sweater.  The ladies in the knitting class said that a sweater would be easier then the mittens I'm making.  Imagine that.. 

Dexter is out of his mind with happiness that I'm learning how
to make mittens.  He wants a pair.

1 comment:

  1. No Kate. Not a coat the SAME color as your mittens but one that complements. We'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete